A quick sauté of eggplant, bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic, and fresh herbs will make a delightful addition to your recipe file. Taste, texture, and ease of preparation will tease you again and again.
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 Yellow onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Eggplant peeled and cut into cubes, approximately 1/2 inch each
- 2 Fresh Tomatoes seeded and diced
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3-4 Whole spice berries
- 3 cloves of Garlic 2 cloves minced. 1 clove crushed.
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Red Pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 cup Fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh basil hand-torn
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon juice
Heat oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add onion and bell peppers; sauté for 3 minutes.
Reduce heat. Add 2 minced garlic cloves, tomato paste and cook for another minute.
Add the eggplant, tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir to
combine. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Turn off the heat. Remove bay leaves and any visible whole spice berries.
Add parsley, basil, crushed garlic, and lemon juice. Combine with eggplant mixture. Enjoy hot or at room temperature.